Barclays Choice Privileges
If you're a frequent traveler on the lookout for a great hotel card tied to one of the largest hotel chains in the world, the Barclays Choice Privileges card may be right for you. Just by putting this card to work spending on things you’d already buy throughout the year, you can earn an incredible $2,000 or more in rewards value with Choice Hotels the first year. And if you’re a Choice Privileges rewards member, your total points for the year can be worth enough to cover three weeks of free hotel nights or more. Find out more about this card and how to put it to work in your wallet via our comprehensive summary.
- 0% APR Balance Transfer for 15 Months
- 15x Points on Purchases at eligible Choice Privileges Locations
- 5x Points on Purchases of Choice Privileges Points or Choice Hotels Gift Cards
- 2x Points on everything else
- 0% APR Balance Transfer for 15 Months
- 15x Points on Purchases at Choice Privileges Locations
- 5x Points on Purchases of other Choice Privilege Products
- 2x Points on all other Purchases
Recommended Credit Profile
Rates & Fees
- Annual Fee$0
- Intro Balance Transfer APR0% for 15 months
- Regular APR17.24% to 26.99%
- Great ForTravelHotelRestaurants
- Regular Purchase APR17.24% to 26.99%
- Regular Balance Transfer APR17.24% to 26.99%
- Cash Advance APR27.24%
- Balance Transfer Fee$5 or 3%
- Cash Advance Fee$10 or 5%
- Foreign Transaction Fee3%
Great Sign-Up and Anniversary Bonuses
One of the standout features of the Barclays Choice Privileges card is the generous sign-up bonus. If you spend $1,000 on the card in the first 90 days — that's just under $80 a week — you'll earn 32,000 bonus points. The bonus is so easy, you can earn it simply by swiping the Barclays Choice Privileges card when you make your weekly grocery run!
How much are those points worth? With rewards nights starting as low as 6,000 points, you can book four or five nights with your bonus points — that’s a value of at least $500.
Using your Choice Privileges card could get you an annual bonus, too. To qualify, you need to spend $10,000 on your card by the first anniversary of opening your account. That might sound like a tall order, but when you break it out by month, it’s only $833 a month. If you spend $200 in groceries, fuel and occasional dining out already, all you have to do is pay for those purchases with your Barclays Choice Privileges Visa Signature card and you’ve hit your goal. The annual bonus is 8,000 points, which is more than enough to cover another free night at a Choice Hotels property.
Earning and Spending Points
You earn different numbers of reward points depending on how you spend. The Choice Privileges card is made especially to use with Choice Hotels stays and gift cards in mind, but you can use it just like any other Visa.
You get five points for every dollar you spend directly with Choice Hotels, and that can add up fast. Five single-occupancy hotel nights in a month, averaging around $200 a night, means a spend of $1,000. That’s 5,000 points. If you take a similar business trip every quarter, you’ll end up with 20,000 points for the year — enough to cover up to three free nights in many Choice Hotels properties.
The deal gets even better if you're also a member of the Choice Privileges reward program. This program gives you an extra 10 points per dollar on top of the five points you get with the card, meaning you get an incredible 15 reward points for every dollar spent on a Choice Hotels stay. Those five single-occupancy nights above translate into 15,000 points, and if you have four similar stays throughout the year, you’d end up with 60,000 points. That’s enough for 10 free nights in basic accommodations or two to three nights in a Choice luxury resort property.
You don’t earn just when you book with Choice Hotels, though. You earn two points for every other dollar you spend. Remember the $200 you need to spend every week in everyday expenses to net the annual bonus? You’ll also get two points per dollar for that spending, which equals 400 points a week. That’s 20,800 points in a year.
Let’s add up all those potential rewards points:
- 32,000 for the sign-up bonus
- 8,000 for the annual bonus
- 60,000 for being a regular Choice Hotels patron
- 20,800 just for covering your everyday expenses
That’s 120,800 points, or enough to cover up to 20 free nights!
What Can You Do With All These Rewards?
It's easy to redeem these points:
- The Choice hotel network is one of the world's largest, with over 5,000 properties in 35 countries.
- It includes mainstay budget hotel brands like Comfort Inn and Quality Inn, as well as premiere brands like Ascend and Cambria.
- For added flexibility, you can even combine cash plus points to reduce the cost a hotel stay.
The range of choices makes this a great option for the heavy traveler.
Some other handy features of these point rewards:
- Your points don't expire so long as you use the card once every 18 months.
- There's no cap on the number of points you can earn.
- You can also donate points to charity.
Some hotel chains restrict the times you can redeem your reward points using ""blackout dates,"" but you don't have to worry about that with this card, which lets you redeem points at any time.
0% APR Introductory Offer
The Choice Privilege card makes it easy and attractive to transfer balances from other cards as you're establishing your account. During the first 15 billing cycles — roughly speaking, the first 15 months — of owning your Choice Privileges card, any balances you transfer to this card won't accrue interest charges until the introductory period ends.
That means you can transfer a balance from an existing high-interest card and save potentially hundreds of dollars in interest if you need a few months to a year to pay the balance down.
Other Perks of the Choice Privilege Card
If the impressive reward point rates weren't enough, the Choice Privilege card comes with a range of other benefits. Your bookings are automatically upgraded to Gold status in Choice's Elite benefits program. This includes:
- The ability to book your free nights 50 days in advance instead of the usual 30 days
- Access to exclusive reservations
- Dedicated customer support numbers
- Welcome gifts
- Special Elite member offers and VIP event access
You also get free concierge service, luxury hotel discounts, travel and emergency assistance, purchase protection and extended warranties on select product purchases. It's a generous benefits package by any standard, but it's truly remarkable for a card that doesn't come with an annual fee.
Fees Associated With the Card
The Choice Privileges card comes with no annual fee. It does charge a balance transfer fee of $5 for each transaction or 3 percent of the transaction's amount, whichever one is higher.
The bottom line on this card is that it’s an excellent option to carry if you’re a frequent traveler who favors Choice Hotels properties.