American Express Platinum Delta Skymiles Business Credit Card
If you travel for business and like to fly on Delta, you need to know about this credit card because the benefits are unreal and will help take your business to a whole new level.
With this credit card, Delta loyalists can quickly stack up rewards value, including a sign-up bonus worth $940 or more, annual mile rewards worth $487 or more, free baggage checking worth $50 per round-trip and an annual companion fare worth $300 or more.
That’s over $1,800 in rewards value just for flying with an airline you already choose and covering standard business expenses with your credit card.
This is so amazing so we have broken everything down for you to make sure that you take full advantage of this credit card for your business.
- Welcome Offer: Earn 45,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in the first 3 months. Plus, earn a $100 Statement Credit after your first Delta purchase on your new Card in the first 3 months.
- Earn 3 Miles on every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta and on every eligible dollar spent on purchases made directly with hotels. Status-like benefits: First Check Bag Free on Delta flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding
- Earn 1.5 miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that’s an extra half point per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year. 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases.
- Get closer to status with Status Boost™. Spend $25,000 in purchases on the Card in a calendar year and earn 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs); spend a total of $50,000 in eligible purchases on the Card in a calendar year and earn an additional 10,000 MQMs. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different from the miles you earn toward flights.
- Terms and limitations apply.
- Status-like benefits: First Check Bag Free on Delta flights + Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding
- Earn 1.5 miles per dollar on single eligible purchases of $5,000 or more (that’s an extra half point per dollar), up to 50,000 additional miles per year.
- 1 Mile on every eligible dollar spent on other purchases
Recommended Credit Profile
Rates & Fees
- Annual Fee$250
- Great ForDeltaRestaurantsShopping
- Regular Purchase APR15.74% - 24.74% Variable
- Cash Advance APR25.24%
- Cash Advance FeeEither $5 or 3% of the amount of each cash advance, whichever is greater.
- Foreign Transaction Fee2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.
Amazing Sign-Up Bonus for Business Users
The American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles business credit card is a king among other cards when it comes to reward perks, and that starts with the sign-up bonus. Amex likes to swap the sign-up bonus out for different offers periodically, but you’ll almost always see a reward worth investigating up for grabs.
The current sign-up bonus as of this writing is 70,000 bonus miles plus 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (more on MQMs in a second). That’s an enormous value. Delta SkyMiles are typically valued around 1.2 cents each, making the bonus worth around $840 in travel redemptions. But, if you do your research and score a great redemption deal, you could be looking at values of up to $3,500.
All you have to do is spend $3,000 on your card within the first three months the account is open. That’s less of a requirement than many business card sign-up bonuses and is super easy to hit if you just cover normal business expenses with the American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles business credit card. Spend just $1,000 a month — or $250 a week — and you’ve got the bonus. Cover a couple of office expenses, phone bills and travel costs, and you’re probably more than there.
Plus, if you make a purchase directly with Delta within your first three months, you’ll also get a $100 statement credit. That means this sign-up bonus is worth — at minimum — $940.
Seek tip: The MQMs you receive as part of the sign-up bonus help you earn Medallion status with the Delta Airlines SkyMiles program. You earn points toward Medallion tiers by spending or flying with Delta Airlines, but this bonus gives you a boost toward silver status, which required 25,000 MQMs. Medallion status lets you earn more miles for every dollar spent with Delta and access other special perks when traveling.
Keep on Earning Rewards With the American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles Business Card
The more you spend with this card, the more you earn. You earn 2 miles for every dollar spent directly with Delta — including on flights and incidentals such as baggage fees or inflight meals. You also earn 1 mile on every other purchase with this card.
Plus, if you make $25,000 in purchases within the year, you get another 10,000 bonus miles plus 10,000 MQMs. That gets you even closer to your next Medallion tier.
So, how much can you rack up with this card? Let’s do some hypothetical math.
We’re going to assume if you’re interested in a business credit card that earns Delta points, you fly regularly with the airline. Perhaps in one year, you use your American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles business credit card to cover the following expenses.
- Eight business trips involving Delta round-trip fare, for a total of $4,800, or 9,600 in points
- Business utility and phone bills totaling $12,000 for the year, or 12,000 points
- Business meals and dining totaling $3,000 for the year, or 3,000 points
- Supplies and equipment purchases totaling $6,000 for the year, or 6,000 points.
That’s a total of 30,600 points, plus you spend enough to gain the annual bonus of 10,000 points. Those 40,600 points give you a value of $487 or more in travel rewards.
What can you spend all these points on?
With the sign-up bonus and hypothetical above, the total points for the year adds up to 110,600.
The biggest value comes when you redeem your miles for flights on Delta. If your business is located somewhere like Atlanta, which is a major international airport where Delta flies, you can use your miles to score flights to and from business conferences or cover employee travel. Delta flies to more than 1,000 locations, and the rewards miles program doesn’t come with blackout dates, so how you redeem is up to you.
You can also use miles to:
- Upgrade flights
- Fly privately with Delta Jets
- Book vacation packages
- Purchase tickets for experiences
- Purchase gift cards, hotel stays, car rentals and merchandise on the SkyMiles marketplace
Other Perks That Come With Card Holder Status
Amex never plays around with perks, and this card is unsurprisingly chock full of them. As a card holder, you can check your first bag free, which saves you $50 on round-trip Delta flights. Plus, you get a companion fare every calendar year upon renewal of your card. That means a free flight (you do have to pay up to $75 in government fees and taxes) when you book two together. That’s a perk worth at least $300.
Other perks of this card include:
- Priority boarding on Delta flights. This benefit can really be amazing and come in handy. You are the first person on the plane. Regardless of when you check-in to the flight, you will be on the A boarding group. You will never have to sit in the front of the plane again and put your baggage all of the way in the back. This can hold you up an extra 30 minutes when you arrive at your destination because in order to get your carry-on luggage you would need to wait for everyone to get off of the plane. This is a problem of the past with this credit card in your wallet.
- Inflight savings of 20 percent on food, beverage and other purchases. If you are travelling for business with 2 co-employees and you each enjoy 2 drinks and a few snacks this could cost you around $100. When you pay with this credit card, you will save $20.
- Baggage insurance to cover you in the event of lost luggage. Imagine you arrive in Atlanta for business and your baggage goes missing. You have a meeting in 2 hours and need to go get some nice clothes. This situation is already bad enough and what makes it even worse is that you will have to deal with the airlines to get reimbursed for the cost of the new clothes. This process of making a claim with the airlines is known to take forever and usually people are not even fully reimbursed. With this credit card you don't have to worry about any of this. Just document exactly what happened to you and make a claim with AMEX. You will be fully reimbursed for the cost of the clothing or any other outstanding items you needed to purchase because of the lost luggage.
- Travel accident insurance that covers you in the event of an accident on a major carrier if you paid for the trip with this card. No one wants to think about this, but what if you were killed or suffered a life-changing injury while you were travelling? What would happen to your loved ones? This credit card provides a way for your family to get some financial relief in the event that you are injured or killed when you fly or travel on a bus or train.
- Access to the roadside assistance hotline. You arrive in Atlanta and are driving out of the airport in your rental car when the tire pops. You only have 4 AAA calls a year and definitely do not want to waste one of those calls right now. You share the AAA account with 4 of your employees so you all have about 1 call a year. With this card in your wallet, you do not need to worry about any of this. Just call AMEX and you will get roadside assistance right away. The best part about this is that it is available 24/7/365. AMEX always has your back, as the company has determined all of the best ways to support people in the event of something happening during a business trip and this situation tends to occur more than you would think. Don't wait for it to happen to you, get ahead of the pain and get your card today so you are prepared.
- Car rental loss and damage insurance, which lets you and your employees wave the car rental insurance fee if you paid for the rental with this card. In order for you to have your rental car for 7 days in Atlanta it would cost you $25 a day for rental car insurance. That is an additional $175 you would need to pay out of pocket just to drive the car. With this AMEX card you can save an extra $175 by confidentially denying the insurance coverage, knowing that AMEX has your back in the event that you are in a car accident. Take the extra $175 and put it towards impressing one of your clients with a nice dinner on AMEX. Or use the money to upgrade your flight to business class and arrive in Atlanta feeling nicely refreshed and ready to rock-n-roll at your meeting.
- 24/7 customer support
- Online expense management tools
Fees and Other Fine Print
The American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles business credit card doesn’t come with foreign transaction fees, which we think is a must-have perk for any travel or business credit card. What it means is that you won’t pay anything extra for swiping or buying overseas. Some banks charge 3 to 5 percent of the total purchase, so that can add up to sizeable business savings if you have international partners or clients.
The card does come with a $195 annual fee, but the annual companion airfare pretty much makes that a moot point. In fact, it probably comes out in your favor even before you start stacking up the value of all the other perks with this card.
The American Express Platinum Delta SkyMiles business credit card is a financial tool that’s ideal for businesses of any type that do a lot of travel and are located near an airport that caters to Delta flights.